My frustation...

2007-04-26

Notice: For those of you who might be concerned... I will be returning to my series on the great Google, I've only temporarily diverged to rave about my recent quagmire.

I've built computers! Indeed, I have. Recently though, it would seem as if I know nothing about hardware, nor building computers at all. Maybe it's just bad luck, but I've never had so much bad luck at one time in my life.

So, I decided to build a new computer a couple of months ago. Now I say a couple of months ago, but it is only just now stable *hopefully*. So, 3 product returns and several 'expert opinions' (those of my co-workers I do consider expert) later, I have a working desktop. I might add that it looks pretty damn cool, if you ask me.

It has two vertical lines of red LEDs along the length on the front of the case. The side panel is transparent with a fan in the middle, that spins with red LEDs. There is also a fan on the backside of the case that spins with blue LEDs. I like it a lot!

It's not the fastest computer in the world, but it's significantly faster than my previous computer. This one has a dual core 3.2GHz Intel P4 processor, 1.5 GB of RAM, a Radeon X800 GTO 256MB graphic card, and a (finally) MSI motherboard (don't remember the spec right-off, I'll get back to you if you're that interested).

It now works, at least for the time being. I refuse to say that it is in full working condition until I pass the three week mark, seeing as that, that is the time in which the second motherboard stopped working.

Anywho, I tried today to install a heat-sinc today and I just couldn't get it to "snap" onto the motherboard like it's supposed to. I don't understand the problem, I tried and tried, and it just won't snap. WTF?!

All of these hardware problems have really depressed my confidence. I've never had such problems. And I, having gone to school for computers, built computers, and worked on and with computers for the majority of my life, shouldn't have such problems. Well, perhaps one-day I'll be worthy of being called the Computer and Internet Guru again, as titled by my co-worker.

EDIT -- I did not intend for it to seem as though my co-workers are not, in fact, experts. I only inserted the quotations marks because I did not, in fact, pay them, I only asked for their assistance. I didn't want the intention to be misconstrued. Said experts are, in fact, experts.

4 comments:

I'm hurt by those scare quotes around expert opinions. My heart may shatter within me. That said, I'm also hurt by the incredibly idiotic attachment system that heatsink company devised.

May they avoid involvement with company profit forever.

syrion said...
4/26/07, 7:44 PM  

I'm hurt by that politically correct and forcedly inoffensive language you have added to your post in order to assuage my hurt at the scare quotes around expert opinions. Have you no shame?

syrion said...
4/26/07, 8:23 PM  

Well, I sincerely apologize for your hurt. I am an incredibly caring and apathetic person... shame, not so much. I was complimenting you... does that mean nothing?!

Unknown said...
4/26/07, 8:28 PM  

It means many things. Things known only by the Fiddler in the Dark, Nyarlathotep.

However, it doesn't eliminate your assault on our lovely language. Thou scourge, thou linguistic assassin! Thy path in life should be law.

syrion said...
4/26/07, 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment